Ah, the glorious age of the Internet, where you can binge-watch cats play the piano and argue about pineapple on pizza.
But amidst this digital bonanza, one might wonder: “Are press releases still a thing?”
Oh, honey, they’re not just a “thing.”
In 2022 alone, over 300,000 press releases were catapulted into our world, with 60% riding the wire service express. Who knew?
So, you’ve got juicy news, perhaps about unveiling a money-printing machine (legally questionable, but stick with me).
Tweeting, or should I say X’ing, it might get you a few retweets and memes, but if you want to make waves, the age-old press release is your sturdy ship.
“Oh, ever-truthful Internet,” you ask, “how much will a press release cost me?”
TL:DR: $250 to $1,000 is the avg. cost of a press release
It’s hard to give a single figure, as it depends on different factors.
A small business or individual might spend between $250 to $1,000 for a combination of writing and distribution. In practical terms, you have three options to choose from:
- Budget Option: Write the press release yourself (or pay someone on Fiverr $5 to $50), use existing relevant photos, and distribute through a free or lower-cost platform. Expect to spend $50 – $200 in total. Usually yields mid results at best.
- Mid-Range Option: Order from a press release service company, which includes writing service and distribute to Web, Print & TV newswires. Use your existing photos or buy stock photos or simple infographics. Anticipate spending $250 – $800.
- Premium Option: PR Agencies start at $1,000, but they bring the whole shebang: fancy distribution, news monitoring, and expert advice & consultation. Engage a PR agency for strategy, writing, custom graphics, and broader or ultra-targeted distribution. This usually costs $1,000 or upwards of $10,000.
A larger corporation or organization looking for wide national or international reach, with all the bells and whistles, might spend anywhere over $50,000 or even more.
Wondering what drives these prices?
Wait, What’s With the Different Rates?
As I mentioned in the beginning, the cost of a press release can vary widely based on multiple factors. Let’s delve into the factors that affect the cost of a press release:
#1. Cost of Writing the Release
The first costly hurdle of a press release is the writing part. If you’re hiring a professional to write the press release for you (which you should
- Do It Yourself — Free… but only if you’re a professional. Otherwise, it’s more expensive.
- Freelancer: $50 – $500 on platforms like Upwork or Fiverr, depending on their experience, expertise, and reputation.
- PR Agencies: $200 – $2,000, depending on the agency’s prestige and complexity of the project.
#2. Press Release Distribution Cost
Using a distribution service can range from free (with very limited reach) to several thousand dollars, depending on the breadth and specificity of the distribution.
- Budget Distribution: Ranges from free to $100. Think of it as a message in a bottle—might get found, might not.
- High-Roller Distribution: Costs about $1,500, with add-ons that can almost reach the moon.
- Balanced Distribution: ViralTactic.com, the popular favorite, with costs from $179 per release with 250+ guaranteed published news sites and social media distribution boost.
#3. Multimedia Elements Cost
If your press release includes multimedia elements like photos, videos, or infographics, there might be additional costs involved, both for creation and for distribution.
- Stock photos can cost anywhere from $5 – $50 each.
- Custom infographics: $100 – $1,000, depending on complexity and designer.
- Video production can vary significantly but expect to pay at least $300 – $5,000.
#4 Press Release Translation Cost
If you want your press release to be available in multiple languages, translation costs can add to the overall price. Typically $0.10 – $0.30 per word, but can be higher for specialized industries or less common languages.
#5 Additional Services
Some PR agencies offer more comprehensive packages that might include strategy, media outreach, follow-up, reporting and social media marketing. These services will usually be more expensive than just writing and distributing a press release.
The DIY Alternative Option
Of course, you can always write a press release yourself and use free or low-cost online platforms to distribute it. This will be the most budget-friendly option, but it might not have the same reach or professionalism as using a service or agency.
- Writing: Free if you do it yourself.
- Distribution: Using free or low-cost platforms might range from $0 to $200.
Best Full-Service Press Release Distribution Services
If you’re short on time and money, then we’ve compiled the best press release services with the biggest impact, along with their cost for comparison:
- ViralTactic — Best for small businesses, their Pro package starts at $249, and includes professional writing, premium newswire & social media distribution, and multimedia integration.
- eReleases — Catering to both small businesses and larger corporations, their packages begin at $299 for the Newsmaker package. The cost can go up to $899 for the Mass Media Visibility package, which offers more extensive services and distribution.
- Send2Press — Their services include press release writing and distribution. While localized plans start around $89, national distribution with writing, and other features can go up to $499 or more.
- 24-7 Press Release — With a holistic approach to press releases, their services start at $149 for writing and distribution in the Visibility Boost package. The Mass Media Pro package at $389 offers a more comprehensive distribution network.
- PRWeb Advanced — While PRWeb’s basic package focuses on distribution, their Advanced and Premium packages, starting at $325 and $435 respectively, include writing services and distribution to premium news sites, along with other advanced features.
- Newswire — Their Newswire National package, priced around $799, provides both press release writing and distribution across major news networks, media outlets, and search engines.
Let’s Talk Goodies: Press Kits & Distribution
Your press release deserves a first-class ticket.
It’s not just about sending it out; it’s about sending it right.
Journalists are swamped
writing fighting fake news, and deciphering Elon’s latest tweets.
Make their life easy with a press kit, essentially your story in a nutshell. A good press release service or agency will always include a press kit.
How about Distribution channels?
Oh, they’ve evolved. Gone are the days of just newspaper cannons. Now we have industry bloggers, trade magazines, local news stations, radio DJs, and of course, social media and millions of influencers across Instagram, X, Facebook, YouTube, TikTok & Snapchat.
Okay, So What About Distribution Costs?
Full-Service Press Release services include distribution with their writing services, but what should PR distribution-only services actually cost?
Three words: tiers, treasures, and trinkets.
- Penny-Pincher’s Paradise: Ranges from free to $100. Think of it as a message in a bottle—might get found, might not.
- Fortune-500 Fantasy: Costs about $1,500, with add-ons that can almost reach the moon. Ideal if you’re swimming in gold coins.
- Balanced Bounty: ViralTactic.com, the popular favorite, offers services from $179 per release with 250+ guaranteed published news sites & social media distribution.
An Investment in Press Releases Pays Off
Ever felt swamped when your business is in hyper-drive? You’re not alone. In the midst of all that hustle, press releases might seem like an afterthought. But in reality? They’re the secret sauce to keeping everyone in the loop.
Think about your circle – partners, potential clients, and yes, even those stockholders who eye every move you make. You could get your sales team to individually update them, but that’s a tad…well, inefficient. Instead, press releases are like the group text everyone actually wants to be on.
Cost-wise, most businesses are spending somewhere between $500 to $2500. It’s like picking between a good coffee maker and a barista-grade espresso machine. If you’re constantly evolving and need to keep folks updated, it might be time to go for that higher-end press release service. See it as an investment. Because, honestly? Clear communication is always in style. Cheers to smart moves! 🥂
One Viral Press Release Is All You Need
One super successful and viral press release, done right, could be your golden ticket to some serious media value. We’re talking thousands of dollars worth of limelight, potentially pushing those sales numbers through the roof.
Now, sure, you could DIY and craft that press release in your jammies. But let’s be real, getting pros like ViralTactic on your side? That’s like having a backstage pass to the big leagues. Think about all those local rags and industry mags – they’re the stages you wanna rock. So, why not let the pros handle the gig while you enjoy the encore? 🎸📰
Start Your PR Campaign Today!
Alright, here’s the deal: the Press Release game has loads of options, from the ‘roll up your sleeves and DIY’ to the swanky ‘leave it to the pros.’
Costs? Yeah, they’re as varied as your Spotify playlists.
But remember, it ain’t just about the moolah.
It’s about the vibe you’re sending out.
Whether you’re on a tight budget or ballin’ out, it’s all about nailing that message and finding the best groove to get it out there.
At the end of the day, the real magic of a press release? The buzz, connections, and doors it can open.